This qualification reflects the role of individuals who work as aquaculture attendants or technicians for the care of aquatic stock in the aquaculture sector of the seafood industry. In this role, these individuals have responsibilities for the handling of stock, and maintaining water quality and monitoring environmental conditions. They may perform dives or vessel operations as part of their role.
The environments in which these individuals work include:
- aquaculture farms
- aquarium wholesalers and retailers
- hatcheries and nurseries
- live post-harvest holding facilities.
All work is carried out to comply with workplace procedures, according to state/territory health and safety, food safety, biosecurity and environmental regulations, legislation and standards that apply to the workplace.
Some SFI and imported units in the elective bank are subject to licencing, legislative or certification requirements, including:
- occupational diving is regulated independently by each state and territory workplace health and safety authority. Users are advised to check with the relevant authority to confirm current requirements.
- the MAR units that appear in the elective bank are subject to licencing and regulatory requirements. These units must be implemented in line with the MAR Maritime Training Package and Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA) requirements.
- the TLI licencing units must be implemented in line with the TLI Transport and Logistics Training Package.