This qualification reflects the role of an advanced technician (technical officer), team leader or supervisor with a wide range of telecommunications skills. The skills required for this role may include, but are not restricted to, the ability to install and maintain:
- enterprise networks in emerging and converging technologies
- optical and wireless equipment for high speed broadband network infrastructure
- internet protocol (IP) based network telecommunications equipment
- IP based networks in home networks and small and medium enterprises
- telecommunications, data cabling and cabling products in line with the specifications of the access network owner
- telecommunications access network cabling and infrastructure, systems and customer equipment.
The qualification enables technicians to assess installation requirements of converging voice, video and data IP networks, plan and perform installations and test installed equipment and fault find.
Work functions in the occupational areas where this qualification may be used are subject to regulatory requirements. Refer to the ICT Information and Communications Technology Training Package Companion Volume Implementation Guide or the relevant regulator for details of licensing, legislative or certification requirements.